This article will cover how to automatically create a ticket on a recurring basis within Zendesk which is ideal for routine tasks that would have otherwise required you to manually create the ticket.
With recurring tickets, you can pre-define the subject, ticket description, requester, assignee, etc.. using ticket schedules and with ticket templates, you can pre-define just about anything else so that everything is ready for you to complete your task when the ticket is created.
This article contains the following sections:
Create a ticket schedule
The first and only step to creating a recurring ticket is to create a ticket schedule. This is where you will define the frequency at which the ticket is created (e.g daily, monthly, quarterly, etc..). In addition to this, you can configure basic ticket information such as:
- Subject - if none is specified, a generic subject will be chosen
- Ticket description/Initial comment - if none is specified, a generic description will be chosen
- Requester - if none is specified, the admin who authorized the app will be chosen
- Assignee group and Assignee individual
- CCs - only available when the ticket description is set to 'public reply'
1. Select the Recurring Tickets app from the main navbar, then select Ticket schedules from within the app.
2. Select Add ticket schedule from the Ticket schedules screen.
3. Select the frequency and repeat period (e.g Hour, Day, Week, etc..) at which the ticket will be created.
Example: The frequency would be 3 and repeat period Month for quarterly recurring tickets.
4. Select the commencement date/time for when the recurring ticket creation should begin.
For the repeat period of week and month, there are some additional commencement options.
Week - You can select which days of the week a recurring ticket will commence.
Example: The commencement days would be Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri to have a recurring ticket created every business day.
Month - You can select a specific date or day within the month a recurring ticket will commence.
5. Enter any ticket information as required, then select Save and you're done!
You can check back on the ticket schedules screen to view when the next recurring ticket is to be created. If you select 'more', you can view additional events beyond the next in the schedule.
If you select the ellipses to access the options, you can choose to:
- Edit - allows you to modify the ticket schedule if you need to make adjustments.
- Run now - creates a ticket now using the ticket information provided which can be useful for testing.
- Delete - permanently deleted the ticket schedule so that no further tickets are created.
Create a ticket template
In addition to ticket schedules, you can also create ticket templates. These are not required to create a recurring ticket, however, they can reduce the time spent on tickets by pre-filling important information such as the ticket form, type, status, tags, custom fields, and much more...
1. While in the Recurring Tickets app, select Ticket templates and then Add ticket template
2. Define the ticket information as required including any custom ticket fields.
Note: if you have multiple forms on your Zendesk plan, you will need to first select a ticket form before your custom ticket fields will appear.
3. Select OK located at the bottom to save the ticket template.
You can now apply your ticket template to one or more ticket schedules.
4. Select Ticket schedules and then choose an existing – or create a new - ticket schedule.
5. Select the ticket template you wish to apply from a drop-down list.
Note: any ticket information not defined on the schedule will automatically be copied from the ticket template if available.
Alternatively, you can choose to copy everything from the ticket template by leaving all the ticket information blank within the schedule.
If you have any issues with the app, please reach out to our support team at email@example.com for assistance.